Reverend Richard Perryn who was instituted as Rector of Standish Church on the 10th May 1779 and
who remained in office for forty five years was keenly interested in education and it was
largely due to his efforts that the first school in Adlington was established in 1815.
It was built of coursed squared sandstone, with stone quoins, a stone slate roof and one brick chimney at the left gable. A rectangular stone tablet in the centre of the first floor façade is inscribed with the lettering 'This school for pious and useful learning was built by voluntary subscription in the year of our Lord 1815 R P B'. The left half of the building was for the school and the right half was the master's house. The building was already known as 'Old School' in 1849, having already been replaced by the National School on Park Road. The building is now a private dwelling.
Reverend Minett who was Vicar of St. Paul's Church from 1894 until 1921, was main
driving force in the establishment of St. Paul's Church Schools. Two buildings where constructed
one an infants school and another a junior school.
The foundation stones for the two separate buildings eventually constructed were laid on the 17th April 1909, and the 2nd April 1910, respectively. The original 'Junior School' was opened on the 10th January 1910, and the 'New Infants' School' on the 15th August 1910. An entirely new school building was opened in 1970 and one of the old schools is now St Paul's Day Care school.
In 2006 Head Teacher Marilyn Robertson says "St Paul's CE Primary School provides a caring, positive, secure Christian centre of learning, in which children can develop their potential by having equal access to a broad balanced curriculum. Their achievements are rewarded and encouraged in order to develop their self confidence and self-esteem."
Adlington Primary School formerly know as The National School was erected in 1839
on a site off Park Road given by Sir R Clayton. The building was enlarged in 1856. During 1866 the
average attendance was recorded as 115. Park Road was previously known as Cemetery Road and before
that Bottling Lane.
Adlington Primary School is a Co-educational school catering for children from 4-11 years of age. There are 7 teaching areas, a library, hall, kitchen, toilet area and administrative accommodation. It is set in grounds comprising a large playground, grassed areas and pleasant gardens to the rear. The gardens house wildlife, planting areas and a pond to enhance the children's study. For more information please visit the schools own website
The first sod for the erection of Adlington Council School was cut on the 13th
march, 1909, and the school was completed and opened during 1910.
Father Kane, who was the first Parish Priest at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church
from 1862 until 1881 was instrumental in promoting the need for a school.
The school stands on the site first occupied by
Rivington Free Grammar School which was founded in 1566 by James Pilkington, Bishop of Durham. The
main portion of the school was rebuilt in 1714 after the building was destroyed by fire. The
building is owned by Shaws Education Endowment.
The present building became an elementary school in 1882 when the Grammar School was re-housed in what is now Rivington and Blackrod High School. In 1941 the school became a primary school when the last child of secondary age transferred to a secondary modern school and in 1951 the school was granted Aided status. It became a non-denominational Voluntary Aided Primary School, in recent years a new library resource area has been added and most recently a new Foundation Stage classroom was opened in 2005. This has provided an opportunity to now offer education to children from the ages of 3 (pre-school year) to 11. Further information is available at the schools website
Adlington Community Centre situated off Mayfield Avenue, was once Christ Church School. Adlington Community Nursery is now open here from 8.30 am till 4.00 pm with parents and toddlers 9.30 am till 11.30 am
Opened in 2002 Doodles Day Nursery is housed in the former Adlington Council Offices and is one of several privately run establishments in the area for the pre-school child.
Adlington Congregational School was opened in May 1879, as a Pubic Elementary School with 34 scholars. Children of all denominations were welcomed and, despite some early opposition, the school became extremely popular having at one time 350 pupils attending. The Church and Congregation were responsible for appointing the Board of Managers. The success of the school resulted in overcrowding and although extensions and alterations were effected it became increasingly more difficult to obtain the necessary finance to ensure the school's viability. In the event, the school was rented as a Temporary Council School by the Lancashire Education Committee but closed three years later on the 28th December 1910.
Following the closure of the Congregational School, the Temperance Hall (which went on to be the Rex cinema and the British Legion Club) on Railway Road was used as a school. Classrooms were somewhat makeshift being divided by curtains. The situation respecting school accommodation was resolved in 1910 with the opening of St. Paul's Schools and Adlington Council School. After a fire the hall was left in a very poor state. The local council took action against the owner to allow the build to be demolished in 2001. New homes have now been built on the site.
Adlington Methodist Sunday School had to serve as the church in the 1980s due to
serious structural defects rendering the actual church unsafe. Religious services were held in
the old school building, which has been consecrated for the purpose. In 2002 Adlington United
Reformed Church and Adlington Methodist Church joined together and now worship at the Railway
Road site as Adlington United Reformed and Methodist Church
© 1998 - 2009 www.adlington.info All rights reserved.
References & Credits:
Adlington (and District), Lancashire by M.D.Smith ISBN 1 873500 017